- Basic Firearms Training - Player gets +25% to hit with all ranged weapon attacks except the flare gun. Chance to hit becomes 30% for pistol, 30% for shotgun, and 15% for flare gun. The Private and Cop start with this skill.
- Pistol Training - An extra +25% to hit with a pistol. Chance to hit becomes 55% for pistol.
- Advanced Pistol Training - An extra +10% to hit with a pistol. Chance to hit becomes 65% for pistol.
- Shotgun Training - An extra +25% to hit with a shotgun. Chance to hit becomes 55% for shotgun.
- Advanced Shotgun Training - An extra +10% to hit with a shotgun. Chance to hit becomes 65% for shotgun.
- Hand To Hand Combat - Player gets +15% to hit with melee weapon attacks or fists. Chance to hit becomes 25% in melee.
- Knife Combat - An extra +15% to hit with a knife. Chance to hit becomes 50% with knife.
- Axe Proficiency - An extra +15% to hit with an axe. The Firefighter begins with this skill. Chance to hit is 25% for a Firefighter without Hand-to-Hand Combat, 40% for everyone with Hand-to-Hand Combat.
- Free Running - Free Running allows a player to move from inside a building directly into an adjacent building without having to touch the street (and thus saving an AP). This allows a player to bypass Heavy or better barricades which would otherwise prevent entry. The Scout begins with this skill.
- Scout safehouse- Scout Safehouse allows a survivor to Scout a safehouse, costing 30AP and grants around 5AP of extra actions within that building each day (until the player dies or the building is ruined.)
- Shopping - Player may choose which stores to loot, when searching a mall. Characters without shopping loot a random store in the mall. The Consumer class starts with this skill.
- Bargain Hunting - This skill claims to give a player a +25% chance to find something when searching a mall. Instead, compelling evidence suggests that it increases search odds by around +10% or +15%. This is very powerful, because your character finds one-and-a-half times as many items in the mall on average -- a 50% increase in actual returns on AP spent.
- Body Building - Player has a maximum of 60 Hit Points instead of 50. (Zombies benefit from this skill.)
- Tagging - Player's spraycans last longer. XP bonuses are awarded for tagging certain buildings.
- Construction - Player is able to barricade buildings.
- Radio Operation - Player is able to broadcast within the restricted 26.00-28.00 MHz range.
- NecroTech Employment - Player is able to operate DNA Extractors, and can identify NecroTech offices from the street. Starting skill for the NecroTech Lab Assistant class. (Zombies can identify NecroTech buildings with this skill.)
- Lab Experience - Can recognise and operate basic-level NecroTech equipment. Required skill for reviving a zombie with a revivification syringe.
- NecroNet Access - Player can access terminals in powered NT buildings, allowing map scans, syringe manufacture, and reviving zombies with Brain Rot. Manufacturing a syringe costs 20 AP. This skill guarantees a syringe for 20AP, versus searching for one which costs, on average, 8AP.
- First Aid - Player is able to heal an extra 5 HP when using a First Aid Kit. Starting skill for the Medic class.
- Surgery - Player can heal a further 5 HP with a FAK if working in a hospital with power.
- Diagnosis - The HP values of nearby survivors are displayed next to their name. Starting skill for the Doctor class. (Zombies can use this skill.)
- Headshot - If you kill a zombie (this is not limited to firearms), it now takes 5 more AP for it to stand up than if it was killed by a non-Zombie Hunter survivor. It does not lose any XP.
- Scent Death - When a zombie or survivor with this skill sees a pile of bodies, they can tell how many of them are in the process of revivifying. They get a message like "There are x dead bodies here. y of them smell strange", where x is the number of bodies in total and y is the number of revivifying bodies.
The somewhat new ability to create "scent maps" can also be combined with a knowledge of the cities layout to tell a dead survivor where they are likely to find Revive Points - any location with a lot zombies and dead bodies that does not contain a building is likely a revive point. This ability can also be used somewhat like NecroNet Access, to track zombie movements. For an example of this, see the Scenteral Intelligence Map.
- Ankle Grab - Only 1 AP is required in order to stand up after revivification.
- Lurching gait - Only 1 AP is needed to move, rather than the usual 2, so it is easier to get to RPs
Each skill in the game is assigned a letter by the system. You see them when you are able to buy skills, in the url given.
- Basic firearms training = "a"
- Pistol Training = "b"
- Advanced Pistol Training = "D"
- Shotgun Training = "n"
- Advanced Shotgun Training = "E"
- Hand to hand combat = "g"
- Knife Combat = "h"
- Axe Proficiency = "j"
- Free Running = "i"
- Necrotech Employment = "c"
- First Aid = "d"
- Diagnosis = "q"
- Shopping = "e"
- Bodybuilding = "u"
- Tagging = "y"
- Construction = "C"
- Radio Operation ="Q"
- Headshot = "A"