The Gazette shall return, someday. Or not. Two years later and I'm no longer metagaming in UD, but it's still an awesome place and I wish both sides the best. --thegreathal read the Gazette! 04:05, 11 November 2009 (UTC)
|Akule News • BBC • Daily Ruminations • Daily Spotlight • Dulston Dispatch • Fortress News • Malton Examiner • Malton Gazette • Malton Herald & Sun • Malton Media • Malton Mirror • The DHPD Newsletter• The Truth • Today's Message|
|This group uses a forum for communications.|
- Urban Dead and an interview with Kevan featured in classy gaming publication, here. Substantiates most of what we know about the game, i.e. the "open environment" approach.
- If you didn't know, the Battle of Santlerville has officially finished taking place. Two months and a reported 1,300 active users descended upon Dowdney Mall for an incredible 2-month survivor siege victory, with excellent performances from a zombie coalition and most all of the groups in NE Malton.
- A scant 5% of suburbs are listed as very dangerous, and the stats page lists an upswing of 63% standing humans and 37% strong standing zombies.--05/28
Paper Plan, in beta
For the relaunch of the Malton Gazette, here's an idea I thought of but scrapped at launch; namely, outsourcing news to suburb groups. After all, if I want to wikify the paper, why not go all the way, right?
The pros are that it should be easier to maintain and free up the paper with time and lack of Gazette staff. Also, this should get more people involved and reading the Gazette. Cons are that it may be biased, and not like a bias over the whole paper either; try a bunch of group plugs and interlocking biases impossible to untangle. Regardless, if this gets set up, looks quite clever. I'm liking it.
Here's how it works; groups report local news to the forums every week. I would assume large groups handle a few suburbs and have people to fall back on, but if a small group wants to, w/e. The group in question just assigns someone, takes care of it however they like, and we get the news on Fri/Sat for Monday's paper. Will come up with what to report later.
Anyone or group taking a suburb, please post as per the examples on the map so far.
Recruitment Letter: We’d like your group to cover the news for as large of an area that you’re aware of (at least a suburb). I’d recommend assigning one or two people in your group to do so, who then post it on the Gazette forums (link) each Friday or Saturday. Of course it need not be from a member of your group, so long as anything is reported.
Please use your best judgment on what is newsworthy. Some suburbs may have news weekly; in others nothing of note happens for months. For a decent example of an article, check the Wikipedia Signpost, Second Life Herald, or Malton Gazette archives.
- Things that are generally newsworthy:
- Most any event, party, or conversation, or anything interesting that I haven’t thought of.
- A new group or building in the area sustaining itself for a few weeks, or becoming a listed group.
- A fight over a mall/fort/important building or area.
- A suburb or two changing control.
- A major or especially stylish griefer attack.
- Major changes or a new program of an organization.
- Metagame news (forum change, stats, zombie movie, Kevan grows 3rd arm)
- Things that are generally not newsworthy:
- A 1-2 member group just forming, or claiming ownership of a building.
- 1-2 PDs switching in and out of control.
- Average PKer.
Please attempt to report on news with minimal bias, as you would to the only national newspaper remaining in the world.
If you like, add how you would like you/your group to be credited each week, along with the link to do so.
Please post on our forum’s outsource topic (link) whether or not you can accept, and update our wiki page if you do accept.
Uses the Map Template.
Classifieds Place your ad here--you can do it yourself if you like. Rules: 1. Can't be too bulky & 2. Ensure your group/party reads the Gazette.
"Single brown monkey looking for a discrete, cross-species relationship. Living or dead acceptable. Must like pina coladas, getting caught in the rain and changing a monkey's soiled pants. Contact maltoncityzoo.com for more info."
"Chromed steel zombie collar for sale, strong enough to withstand excessive knawing/scratching. Perfect for that loved one you just can't let go of. Don't forget chained up zombies make a better, more effective gaurd dog than your local trenchcoater!. RRP £50. Contact 0-800-SCAM and order yours today!"
Malton Gazette Glorious Masthead
Now that some news is up, here's some technical information. You saw our appeal up top ; we need reporters! Contact us; forums would be best, or email@example.com, or at AIM:thegreathal.
Mentioned at top: If you can't write for us, how about taking a special article. These are up for grabs
The Malton Gazette was founded in April 2007 in response to the lack (0) of news sources at the time, and to chronicle the incredible interactions taking place in the city.
Past issues to be filed in: Malton Gazette/Archive
We are in beta, still trying to find the best format. Operating from a mainly meta-survivor-tongue-in-cheek standpoint.
thegreathal, AIM thegreathal/Email firstname.lastname@example.org--Founder and Publisher
Tamara Devereux, email@example.com--Seen too many celebrities, haad to pick on their Fashion Correspondent
Squid Boy--Cinema Correspondent MIA?
Leah--May work for us? Hasn't posted on forums?
That's it at the moment :/!
|This group uses a forum for communications.|