Since it was first founded in the year 37, Malton has had a new mayor elected every four years. An individual could run as many times as desired, but could not be elected for two consecutive terms. In the event that a mayor should die before the end of his term, a new mayor would be elected within three months.
The office of Mayor has long been a powerful position, with most other local administration serving under the office-holder. This has led to sharp contrast in legislative actions from term to term, with many laws, regulations, and taxes being overturned within weeks of an election.
Because of the loss of legal documents during the early outbreaks, the identity of many past Mayors have been lost.
- 1979-1983: Theodore Buckley. Famous for his extensive hospital reforms.
- 2003-2007: Edwin Hetherington. Escaped Malton at the start of the outbreak, but continued to administer the evacuation and quarantine.
- 2007-2010: Murbulskond. First Mayor to be elected during the quarantine. He beat Karloth Vois by a single vote. The voter turn out was just 183, which is more than one would expect from the trapped citizens of a doomed city. Eventually went missing, and was declared legally dead in 2010.
- 2010: Misanthropy. First living post-quarantine Mayor. Ran on a ticket with Revenant. Later stood down in favour of his deputy. Voter turnout was 173, or 0.49% of the electorate.
- 2010: Revenant. Ran as
BackupDeputy Mayor under Misanthropy, was appointed Mayor following Misanthropy's resignation amid growing sexual scandal. He may or may not have had relations with that woman.
- 2010-Present: Jorm. Appointed Mayor upon the resignation of Revenant, fulfilling his earlier promise to win the election no matter what.