St. Anselm's Hospital
|St. Anselm's Hospital|
|St. Anselm's Hospital
Eastonwood [34, 21]
St. Anselm's Hospital
An accident and emergency hospital before the outbreak, the dusty shell of St Anselm's is now part of the Malton College of Medicine campus in Eastonwood. The store cupboards are still remarkably full, and medics from MCM are in attendance, but since St Simon's Hospital next door is a walk-in and has taken on most of the emergency duties, St Anselm's is primarily used by MCM students as a quiet place to sleep and study, and as a place of rest and recuperation for overnight stays and long-term residents.
St. Anselm’s church is named in Honor of St. Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109) who was the exiled Archbishop of Canterbury under William the Conqueror and later under Charles. Anselm was most famous for his ontological argument on the existence of God. The argument was a follows:
- 1.God is “that than which nothing greater can be thought”. Meaning the greatest being of which we can conceive.
- 2.He must exist, at least conceptually, because we can conceive of such a concept
- 3.If he only exists in the understanding, he is a contradiction because we can think of greater i.e. a being of this type who actually exists.
- 4.Such a contradiction would make him not “that than which nothing greater can be thought”.
- 5.He must exist in reality.
While modern scholars consider this argument to be circular, it was very popular among medieval theologians.
A hospital was first established on this spot in the early 1400s. The original building, whose name has been lost to the march of time was dedicated to the pursuit of anatomy by which the emerging doctors hoped to better understand God through a study of man. Unfortunately, allegations of foul play and grave robbing caused a stir among the local populace who drove the doctors from the walls and boarded up the building claiming it to be “cursed”.
In the late 1600s, the original structure burned to the ground and the area lay vacant for many years until the nearby St. Chad's purchased the lot in the late 1700s. Since then, many buildings have stood upon this spot but all have met with unfortunate ends. In the mid 1900s, the current imposing metal-and-glass building with revolving doors was installed and named in honor of St. Anselm more for his motto and personal philosophy , “faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum), than for his historic argument.
When MCM arrived in Eastonwood in the summer of 2009, St Anselm's was ruined. There were few traces of previous occupation, but anyone who remembers stories from the early years of the outbreak should feel free to supply them here.
MCM have proposed a barricade policy for Eastonwood, which can be found here along with the !zanbah plan, which is somewhat different. St. Simon's Hospital next door will be held at VSB++ except when it is under siege; survivors looking to enter the MCM campus from outside should head there. St Anselm's is a place of safety and recuperation, and will be held at EHB at all times.
MCM has now made St Simon's Hospital its home, and will take responsibility for St Anselm's too. St Simon's will be enterable at all times, except during sieges; St Anselm's will be held at EHB. --Sherry talk MCM 14:08, 3 November 2009 (UTC)
MCM is helping to rebuild Eastonwood after a visit from the MOB. St Anselm's has been reclaimed and repaired, and is currently barricaded and unlit, though under attack from a small group of feral zombies. --Sherry talk MCM 13:47, 24 October 2009 (BST)
|This page, St. Anselm's Hospital, is a locations stub. Please help us to improve the wiki by contributing to this page. Be sure the following information is added to the page: coordinates, suburb, 9 block map (or 16 block map for large buildings), description, barricading policy, and history. Please refer to the Location Style Guide.|