The Pargiter Monument

From The Urban Dead Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
the Pargiter Monument

Pegton [83, 52]

a cemetery Spridell Walk Chaning Auto Repair
the Linney Museum the Pargiter Monument the Whicher Building
wasteland Club Randell wasteland

Basic Info:

  • A monument is a city block containing a statue or similar piece of public art, without a building in it. It is functionally equivalent to a street, except that players with the Tagging skill can gain 2 XP for writing graffiti on a monument.
  • This is, game-play wise, an empty block, and cannot be barricaded.
  • After the July 3, 2009 update, some monuments became tall and can be seen from a distance with binoculars

The Pargiter Monument

Description

1965. Cast Iron on basalt. Sculptor: Enrico Astrade (1939 - 1994)

This dainty commemorative fountain celebrates the life and times of Constance Lorraine Partiger, a philanthropic widow who lived in Malton all her life. Upon her death in 1894, she presented what is now known as Weatherhead Park to the city and the Partiger Memorial Skate Park is known to all who frequent this secluded area of greenery in south-west Pegton.

The four supporting "Muses" that carry the conch shell basin are linked to the four most celebrated gestures Constance made for the people of Malton in general, and Pegton in particular.

The first muse, decorated with ivy, is reminiscent of a pre-Raphaelite maiden, draped in magnificently cast robes. She represents the founding of Howes Square School for Girls, founded by Constance in 1877 - one of the first all-girl schools in Malton.

The second muse, colloqiually referred to as "sweaty Betty" is a larger lady who holds a cornucopia (horn of plenty) in her left hand, supporting the basin with her right. She represents the good work Constance did for the poor of the borough when she set up a mobile soup kitchen during the particularly harsh winter of 1869, bringing succour to the homeless of Malton. It is said that good luck will be yours if you rub Betty's horn!

The third muse is unusual in that she has three arms. Two of these arms support the basin, whilst a third points towards the sky. A popular perch for pigeons, the third arm gestures towards heaven, pointing the way home for the dying of Noakes Sanatorium founded by Constance in 1872. Now known as St. Matthew's Hospital, few remember the original red brick Institution for Women Of Moral Deviance (unmarried mothers) that formerly stood in it's place.

Muse number four has the body of a woman, the tail of a cat, and the head of an ibis. It supports the basin with it's squid-like tentacles.

The fountain was originally painted in bright colours, but these have over the years degraded and the monument now has a dramatic black patina. Some have called for a restoration but the unique tongue and groove rivetted construction does not lend itself to dismantling for such an operation.

In-game description

Humans and zombies alike will see the following (permanent) description when standing in front of the monument:

"You are at the Pargiter Monument, a concrete statue of a man with a book flecked by pigeons."


Personal tools
advertisements