UDWiki:Administration/Vandal Banning/Archive/2013 Q2
This page is for the reporting of vandalism within the Urban Dead wiki, as defined by vandalism policy. On this wiki, the punishment for Vandalism is temporary banning, but due to security concerns, the ability to mete out this punishment is restricted to System Operators. As such, regular users will need to lodge a report for a Vandal to be banned from the wiki. For consistency and accountability, System Operators are requested to note on this board their actions in dealing with Vandals.
Guidelines for Vandalism Reporting
In dealing with Vandalism, time is often of the essence. As such, we ask that all users include the following information in a Vandalism report:
- A link to the pages in question.
- Preferably bolded for visibility. If the Vandalism is occurring over a sufficiently large number of pages, instead include a time range of the vandalism attempt, or alternatively, a link to the first vandalised page. This allows us to quickly find the damage so we can quickly assess the situation.
- The user name of the Vandal.
- This allows us to more easily identify the culprit, and to check details.
- A signed datestamp.
- For accountability purposes, we ask that you record in your request your user name and the time you lodged the report.
- Please report at the top.
- There's conflict with where to post and a lot of the reports are missed. If it's placed at the top of the page it's probably going to be seen and dealt with.
If you see Vandalism in progress, don't wait for System Operators to deal with it, as there may be no System Operator online at the time. Lodge the report, then start reverting pages back to their original form. This can be done by going to the "History" tab at the top of the page, and finding the last edit before the Vandal's attack. When a System Operator is available, they'll assess the situation, and if the report is legitimate, we will take steps to either warn the vandal, or ban them if they are on their second warning.
If the page is long, you can add new reports by editing the top report and placing your new report above its header in the edit screen.
Before Submitting a Report
- This page, Vandal Banning, deals with bad-faith breaches of official policy.
- Interpersonal complaints are better sorted out at UDWiki:Administration/Arbitration.
- As much as is practical, assume good faith and try to iron out problems with other users one to one, only using this page as a last resort.
- Avoid submitting reports which are petty.
Vandalism Report Space
No vandal reports filed
|Action taken||Soft warning|
He's adjusted other people's posts on the suburb Recent News several times, despite several warnings, which results in wrong dates and a complete ignorance of what a signature is (I explained both matters on his talk page, but it's not the first time this happens). PB&J 19:59, 29 May 2013 (BST)
- Looks to me more like newb mistakes by someone who hasn't yet grasped how suburb news and signed posts work. Not Vandalism, but it should be explained to him on his talk page. -- Spiderzed█ 20:19, 29 May 2013 (BST)
- Which has happened: 19 days ago and I repeated it today. PB&J 20:21, 29 May 2013 (BST)
- Agreed on Not Vandalism. It looks like a case of someone not understanding wiki etiquette and simply needing a quick, non-escalating, lesson. He definitely needs to be told that editing other's posts is not allowed, particularly when you claim that you acknowledge a conflict between your groups (as he did when he claimed they were stealing credit from his group), let alone doing something like editing their post to say that you did the work. He also seems to be ignoring dates a bit, since many of the dated news events he's editing precede his arrival on the wiki by a full month. But Vandalism? Nah, I'd stop short of calling it that, at least yet. —Aichon— 20:56, 29 May 2013 (BST)
- Yep, Not Vandalism. Although I'd appreciate if Ephraim would respond to one of the several messages about this on his talk page to clarify that he understands what's being asked. Bob Moncrief EBD•W! 20:58, 29 May 2013 (BST)
- Agreed with both of you, but I'm going to keep an eye on his edits from now on, since he's not responding to our messages, as Bob noted above :) PB&J 08:36, 30 May 2013 (BST)
Most of the vandalism of Larrsmith07 has been fixed (see: Special:Contributions/Larrsmith07), except for Church_of_the_Resurrection/History (see http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php?title=Church_of_the_Resurrection/History&diff=prev&oldid=1708459). Perhaps you should go ahead and ban? Same user has been vandalizing other wikis. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Antispam (talk • contribs) 22:28, 3 April 2013.
- An antispam spambot? Interesting. --Karekmaps 2.0?! 04:15, 4 April 2013 (BST)
- The glorious and unimaginative return of Axe Hack. 07:54, 4 April 2013 (BST)
Vandal Banning Archive