Your age map is no longer updating. What's up with that? CITIZEN VI 21:22, 3 June 2009 (BST)
- My Server at home broke while I was on vacation *rolleyes*, it is now fixed and updates are running again -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 14:43, 4 June 2009 (BST)
- Welcome back! CITIZEN VI 15:13, 4 June 2009 (BST)
- Hello -- still there? The problem has occurred again, it seems. CITIZEN VI 05:13, 5 December 2009 (UTC)
Hey, im Bhuwannabe from the Anti-Zombie Squad and i've noticed you monitor almost all of the necronet scans/buildings status's around the scarletwood area of Malton. Just wanted to say keep doing whatever you're doing cause it's great and very helpful!--Bhuwannabe 21:20, 9 May 2009 (BST)
Hey, god of auto-editing code-bots -- do you think it would be possible to somehow get scans that are, say, 46 days old or older to be replaced on the NT pages with the static image, as here? CITIZEN VI 22:30, 3 May 2009 (BST)
- That should be fairly easy. As the current bot already calculates age of scans, it could also edit NTScan/Buildingname and replace FileType=... with gif and Scan=... with missing. I'll give it a try. -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 06:23, 4 May 2009 (BST)
- Alka, I've noticed that on the scan status map, the red scans are not always older than sixty days. Didn't you say you changed the map colour parameters to match the static scan cut-off date? CITIZEN VI 16:31, 9 May 2009 (BST)
- Red begins at 46 days and stays red up to 60 days, after that the last scanimage is also removed and the scans say "older than 60 days". So instead of 46-90 days before, red now covers the 46-60 range. -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 15:42, 11 May 2009 (BST)
- Ah. What do you think about changing it so that the red NTs correspond to missing scans? CITIZEN VI 16:54, 11 May 2009 (BST)
- Hm we should rethink the whole coloring then. At the moment, we have green=0-7 days, yellow=8-21 days, orange=22-45 days and red=46-60+ days. Scans are useless quite soon, so maybe we should go for something like 0-9,10-29,30-49,50 and remove after 50 days? -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 17:53, 11 May 2009 (BST)
Why not 0-5 for scans that count as recent, 6-20 for "old" scans that are at most useful for judging the general status of a location, 21-59 for scans that are old enough to be entirely worthless, but not quite old enough to be completely erased (signifying massive decay of records), and 60+ for scans that are so old that they are to be erased? You'll note that this is an uneven allotment of partitions, particularly with regard to the orange, but this way each colour actually has a meaning, not just a rough indication of age. CITIZEN VI 18:54, 11 May 2009 (BST)
- Sounds okay. Let's give it a try, I'm modifying the bot code as i'm typing this... ok, not really. But did it before submitting this ;) Let's see how it turns out at the next run. -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 18:59, 11 May 2009 (BST)
- Bravo. CITIZEN VI 19:04, 11 May 2009 (BST)
- OK, I think we might have over done the orange. Perhaps ranking colour by time scale is the best bet after all. I still like having red signify missing scans, but perhaps we ought to even out the colour ranges a bit. CITIZEN VI 06:03, 14 May 2009 (BST)
- We can have different colors for suburbs and buildings. We can keep the current values for buildings, but use different values for the suburbs as they use the average of the buildings - which means a suburb goes red only if all buildings are at 60+ days. If we use, say, 40 for that, we'll see a lot more red suburbs, but not buildings. -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 06:14, 14 May 2009 (BST)
- Ooo, that looks really weird. CITIZEN VI 17:47, 16 May 2009 (BST)
- A bit, maybe. I think it's okay to have a red suburb when most Buildings in it are orange or red. I don't like the green suburbs when the buildings are yellow. Hm. The "table" below shows current color distribution (0-60).
||Building colors (current)
||Suburb colors (current)
- Maybe changing Suburb to something like this:
||Suburb colors (planned)
- What do you think? -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 09:39, 17 May 2009 (BST)
- To be honest I think I prefer having them on the same scale -- it allows you to have both an immediate visual of scan ages and an overall view that correspond directly to each other so you don't have to switch gears if you want the bigger picture. I expect our best bet in terms of ease of use is to scrap my colours--status idea and just use them as a symbol of age on a linear scale (with the exception of the recent scan bit, since fifteen days is a little too long for a scan to still be called recent, I think). Also, when I had the idea at first I went to talk to the MOB about how fast zeds can drastically change the status of a suburb, and they essentially told me that a scan is worthless after one or two days, so... Yeah. CITIZEN VI 02:56, 19 May 2009 (BST)
- That means, if we're going to keep the 60 day maximum for scans, we could have 6 days for recent (green). The remaining 54 days would be devided by 3 = 18 days each.
- -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 18:47, 19 May 2009 (BST)
- OK, I really like whatever you've got it set to now, but I think you may have got your table wrong...? Isn't it, at the moment, something like this?
- Anyway, it looks perfect to me. Thanks for putting so much effort into this. CITIZEN VI 22:00, 20 May 2009 (BST)
...on getting over a hundred scans; it shows your determination, dedication and resourcefulness. Good Work!--Dr Mycroft Chris 13:54, 26 April 2009 (BST)
Hey, where're you at?
Hey Alka! I just repaired the Attwell Building and went to update it, only to find I just missed you by a day. Are you still around East Becktown? ~ extropymine Talk | NW | 4Corners 02:09, 26 March 2009 (UTC)
- I'm still nearby. Doctor Deuterium moved on to West Becktown. I'll try to get a genny and fuel and head for the Oxley Building. -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 08:19, 26 March 2009 (UTC)
- Got the Oxley Building repaired and powered. Moving on to the Sweeney Building.-- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 10:44, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
- Ha! Thanks to your NT scan age map I know almost exactly where you are. VI 14:37, 2 April 2009 (BST)
- But it's much more convenient to look here and here :) -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 15:21, 2 April 2009 (BST)
Hey again! I was glad to see you come on board at NecroWatch! Your user page is coming along too, I've noticed. Anyway, I just wanted to check in again and say hi, and keep up the good work! ~ extropymine Talk | NW | 4Corners 09:00, 16 March 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks. It's fun to play around with mediawiki while reading funny stuff about UD or updating reports. gives the game so much more depth :) --Alka Selzer 09:54, 16 March 2009 (UTC)
- I just wanted to pop by and see whether you would be willing to consider taking on a few more "minor" duties. These are not required, but by doing them yourself it prevents any missed opportunities. The duties that I speak of are the following:
- Update Scan Total - In the Member List you'll notice that there is a column called Total Scans. There is one for every member. Whenever you post a new scan image you should update your total. It's as simple as that. Right now I have accounted for 17 scans, with the last one being from the Kening Building. If this total does not match your own, please update it.
- Sign the Index - This is something else I have been doing for you, but I think you may find it enjoyable, is signing the NT Index. The way it works is the list is sorted by NT building name. Whenever you post a scan from an NT building for the very first time (only) sign the list for that builing below the other names. This is your way of tracking what buildings you've visited... and "tagging" the date you were there.
- Suburb News - You don't need to do this if you don't want to, but when you post a scan post the information (i.e. zombie numbers at what locations) in the associated suburb's news. To make it easier, confirm the news hasn't been posted already (odds are slim if you just posted the scan) and re-use existing/old news... just fill in the blanks with the new scan's information.
- I hope that you will take an interest in the first two duties, as they are relatively simple and more work for me only because I need to determine what you've done ("Watch" on all NT scan wikipages helps). The last duty is only if you feel like it, but I would say go for it and become a household name. ;) --Mobius 14:42, 23 March 2009 (UTC)
- First of all, it is hard for a newbie to find out if you're allowed to edit your own score. I read the NecroWatch FAQ and found nothing there. If you say it is fine for every member to keep their score, I'll happily do it. Same goes for the index.
About the news, I'm willing to give it a try, especially as I target for NT Buildings with horribly outdated scan reports at the moment. -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 14:51, 23 March 2009 (UTC)
- Good point. Some users would handle their own scores, others wouldn't and I just went with the flow. That and the workload started to get a little crazy. Well good luck with the news. Hopefully you may become popular... then again that's not always all that great if you don't like being killed. Hrm. Best of luck! --Mobius 12:52, 24 March 2009 (UTC)
- Phew, finished putting all the NT scan pages on my watchlist. Now i can help writing news for scan updates other than my own :) I also think about a news template showing zombie threadlevels (ZedCon?) -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 22:22, 26 March 2009 (UTC)
Hey, awesome stuff with that by the way (I stalked this discussion on NW talk). I was just here to ask if you could have your script use Template:DangerMapnormala ghost town and Template:DangerMapnotablea ghost town instead of the "abandoned" variations. They're the same templates, but the wording of the status was asked to be changed by another user. I have changed it back so I was hoping to SD the "abandoned" ones in short order, but I don't want to break anything. -- RoosterDragon 21:46, 3 April 2009 (BST)
- No need to do this in the script, the script only cares about suburbs with NT buildings. I changed it in the template. -- -Alka Selzer- [ Talk - Map - Stuff ] 07:39, 4 April 2009 (BST)
- Thanks. -- RoosterDragon 15:23, 4 April 2009 (BST)