Add new posts at the bottom, using the same level of header everyone else has.
This page will be mercilessly edited, because I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of us little wikians don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Here's looking at you kid.
My incredibly interesting talk page archives, consisting of anything that didn't get blatantly deleted on a whim due to my disclaimer, above.
Man, you are being rude
Even if I was stupid (and I am not no matter what you may think) it would still be very impolite to say the things you said. You act like you own the Wiki. And I am glad you don't - no matter how much you do for it. This is sad. --JohnRubin 20:27, 30 January 2007 (UTC)
- Yes. --Funt Solo 20:41, 30 January 2007 (UTC)
- lol --SporeSore 13:26, 1 February 2007 (UTC)
I was reading through your suggs (some of which are very cool and found this reference to precinct 13, what is it and why is it in gatcombeton? Thanks.--xoxo 10:24, 4 May 2008 (BST)
- Gatcombeton is the 13th suburb (reading ttb-ltr), and the Lamport Walk PD is an island, surrounded by car parks and streets. This is reminiscent of the set up for the movie Assault on Precinct 13. That's all. --Funt Solo QT 12:28, 4 May 2008 (BST)
- Ah ok, i figured it was something such. Nice double meaning, and i've always meant to go that famous PD and overcade it...one day, one day...--xoxo 05:48, 5 May 2008 (BST)
- The day has come. Actually it came a few weeks ago. But i just noticed this so i thought i'd let you know that my dream has come true.--xoxo 02:00, 9 June 2008 (BST)
Why did you revert my news?
Ted Blackheart 21:05, 22 October 2008 (BST)
- Not sure what news removal you're talking about specifically (knowing funt, it could be any number of posts...) but i suggest you read the news guidelines at the top of the news section on each suburb page. News posts should be NPOV and avoid tactical advice or calls for help.--xoxo 06:33, 23 October 2008 (BST)
- First off, you'd edited the header incorrectly. The help pages (see links on your left) should help you with that - or just copy what other people have done and check your edits later. Secondly, your report referred to a single zombie attacking a single building. Frankly, for an entire suburb, that isn't newsworthy (unless the zombie is 10 stories high and shits exploding unicorns). There are individual building pages for what is happening at individual buildings. Your report would have been more appropriate there. --Funt Solo QT 07:10, 23 October 2008 (BST)
People like you make wikis die. You should be proud of yourself.
Ted Blackheart 02:24, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
- Sorry budster, but I have to side with Funt. Does this one zombie have, perhaps, several beautiful curves and lushious lips and eyes that scream 'lurrve me?' Because if not, it isn't worth an entire suburb news section. DANCEDANCEREVOLUTION (TALK | CONTRIBS) 09:12, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
- OH NOES! I kiLLED TEH WIKI? --Funt Solo QT 17:16, 23 November 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, yes you did. Congratulations. Want a cookie?-- dǝǝɥs oʇ ɯɐds: sʎɐʍ1ɐ! 18:17, 23 November 2008 (UTC)
||A FREE COOKIE
|Cheese has given Funt a cookie for killing the wiki
18:27, 23 November 2008 (UTC)
- Can i haz?--xoxo 23:30, 23 November 2008 (UTC)
Purpose of the Wiki?
Is this wiki fit for purpose?
I can't help but notice the wiki is something of a ghost town. It has all this info on it (much of it years old and probably irrelevant), but only a handful of editors. I wonder about user stats (of the wiki, not the game) and also what use any player of Urban Dead might make of the info here.
Coming into the main page we have news from 2015 and a huge community portal that was last edited in 2014. There's links to Monroeville (9 users) and Borehamwood (7 users). The suggestions portal was updated 8 times in 2016, and never since.
Clearly, most of this information is pointless. Shouldn't we cut out all the useless crap nobody's used for years and just keep the useful stuff? Anyone mind if I go ahead and do some of that? --Funt Solo QT 22:41, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
- Do you mean delete the wiki? Or bring certain frequently-updated content front and center? -- AHLGTG THE END IS NIGH! 23:05, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
- "Bring certain frequently-updated content front and center", yes. (Perhaps some old stuff should be deleted. But, at the least, it probably shouldn't be linked to from the main page. Example: is there a need for the suggestions portal to be linked to right now? Not only does nobody make suggestions, but the game developer doesn't seem interested in updating the game.) --Funt Solo QT 23:14, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
- No I suppose the suggestions page isn't worth too much right now. I would suggest putting some of the danger report and suburb info in a more visible place, since it's almost the only place that has an activity nowadays. -- AHLGTG THE END IS NIGH! 23:24, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
- Oh, and as far as updating the group listings go, which I saw you had gone through and done, most groups never update the wiki despite remaining active in-game. We typically do a Great Suburb Group Massacre every few years to confirm that they're truly inactive before we remove them, though the last one was in 2013, so we're likely due for a new one at this point.
- Also, hi! I just realized I've never actually talked with you before since you pre-dated my start on the wiki. It's always a pleasure to see an old name return, particularly one who is so well-known from those early days. —Aichon— 15:49, 25 September 2017 (UTC)
- Hi Aichon - nice to meet you & thanks for the welcome. (The wiki was totally mental then. Much more peaceful now.)
- I hear you on the group listings. I'm thinking I should leave a message on their page letting them know I've removed them and if they're still active to let me know so I can change it back. I agree that archiving stuff is better than deleting it. We could replace He Who Shalt Not Be Named's news (as it appears he may never update it) with something else, I'm thinking.
- My motivation is to make the wiki relevant: especially to new players. I hate the idea that they'd start the game, come into the wiki and just be bamboozled by all the ancient irrelevant content and think "oh, this place is dead", when actually it's got a lot of useful info. As the main page and some of the relevant templates are protected, I'll need to go through psyops to get it done anyway. --Funt Solo QT 18:12, 25 September 2017 (UTC)
- I'm completely on board with making the wiki more relevant to new players. You may want to get in touch with Stelar, since she's been looking to spruce up various pages and templates in the last year or two. Plus, her talk page is a bit more watched by others than yours is by this point, so reaching out to her would help to bring some more visibility to the changes you're looking to make. But yes, I definitely agree that culling some of the links to outdated or irrelevant resources while putting a focus on the areas that remain useful (e.g. guides) or are regularly updated (e.g. status map) would go a long way towards restoring the wiki's utility.
- I do think you nailed it when you said that the wiki looks like a ghost town, and I'd love to see some new (or returning) blood reinvigorate the site and give it a new sense of direction. I know that I'm not the one to do it, since I've had a foot out the door for years, but if there's anything you need I'm happy to serve as a sounding board, offer technical assistance, or provide you with a (relatively) quick turnaround on admin services you may need. Plus, I'm always watching random pages, so I'll tidy up anything that looks like it may have gotten out of place. —Aichon— 20:29, 25 September 2017 (UTC)
- I haven't had much time in the past couple of months (got a promotion, moved for work, busy store, etc), but I keep wanting to do something with the front page. I have hated seeing the "Game news" thing being so outdated, especially since nothing really seemed to have come from the survey. I'm more than happy to collaborate on something like that. The East Becktown page was something Peralta and I did because we thought the suburb pages weren't as user friendly as they could be. So I've been involved in a couple things in improving/updating the wiki. But the main page has been virtually the same ever since I can remember, and I've been playing on and off over the past 10 years. So it definitely needs some kind of new life to it. stelar (talk) 13:56, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- I really liked the East Becktown page - all the info was right there without having to scroll. I thought "I'll use this as a template for a new template and do all the 'burb pages like this". My desires for change will of course meet the walls of financial reality and it'll take me months to get anything done. --Funt Solo QT 21:56, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- Yeah, that was why we did it. The most important stuff for a suburb was buried further down the page. I am more than happy to work on that project with you though! It took us about two months I think to finally get it completed, but since we now have a template, it's going to be a lot simpler to implement it into other suburbs. I'm on the UDWiki discord, so feel free to get in touch with me there if you like :) stelar (talk) 23:51, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- Hello! Just wanted to drop by and say, I 100% endorse putting more relevant info front-and-center on the wiki. There've been some discussions about the main page before, but they never really got anywhere — but it's been long enough that it's probably time for a new one.
- As for the suburb group listings, feel free to de-clutter them. I like the idea of leaving a talk page message for the groups removed, but it isn't officially required. As for a Great Suburb Group Massacre, another one at this point would probably be just me removing everything since so few groups check the wiki actively; the 2013 one will probably remain the last GSGM.
- I don't recommend deleting large amounts of old info, though. One thing I love about the wiki is that it's an archaeologist's dream, a treasure-trove of information about a dying culture. We can decommission things (the suggestions system, for example) but definitely should keep all the old info up. This is definitely my classics/anthropology major talking :P
- And, nice to meet you! Thanks for keeping the EMRs updated these last couple weeks (for the prior year or so it's been just me) and for your enthusiasm for the wiki. Bob Moncrief EBD•W! 13:02, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- Dammit Funt! How's tricks? Hmm. Archiving suggestions might have it's merits. --RosslessnessWant a Location Image? 19:30, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- Hi Bob - nice to meet you! Hi Rosslessness - long time no wiki. Feels weird to be thinking about archiving suggestions - it was so busy there. And now there's nothing left to spam. *weeps* --Funt Solo QT 21:56, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- My suggestion would be to do whatever you think works. No one ever really minds anymore and it never really affects many people anyway. A ZOMBIE ANT 00:33, 5 October 2017 (UTC)