Of Over-topping and SuchLikeStuff
Greets! I left a note for you on Yagoton Police Stations / Discussion, a suggestion concerning format (so the PD names are one level lower). Thanks for the suggestions concerning work TBD; wilco. And again: cheers. --Rohstun 04:26, 5 Dec 2005 (GMT)
- Woa! I just noticed how you finished up Monuments ... are you using macros or something?! --Rohstun 18:17, 5 Dec 2005 (GMT)
- Nope, just manually cutting and copying. --Nov 01:35, 6 Dec 2005 (GMT)
- Awesome ... good on ya! Rohstun 05:22, 6 Dec 2005 (GMT)
I don't understand why this is a picture. If you go to the West Becktown Barricade Plan, which you'll find in Category:PLEB, you'll be able to nab the code for a wiki version. Please note, I only started making this this week, and it's not finished yet. We used a picture, way back in August, for the East Becktown barricade map, and found quickly that it's a nuisance to keep changing it - besides, a wiki map looks nicer. I hope that's helpful. --Timothy Askins 07:12, 1 Dec 2005 (GMT)
Yagoton Revivification Points
- You recently added Harkness Street [41, 12], in Yagoton, as a Revivification Point. I'm curious to know the when, where, who, and hows of this new revivification location in Yagoton that has previously escaped notice. --MorthBabid 20:09, 22 Nov 2005 (GMT)
- It has been there since the beginning of the month (November) when I moved to Yagoton. The NE of Yagoton (on the outside) was sprayed with messages saying that it's a revive point in addition to St. Swithun's, although most of those messages have probably been overwritten now. It has been very diligently crewed as well, although not by myself. As I mentioned in the wiki, I have been healed within 24 hours of "parking" my character at Harkness.--Novelty 01:10, 23 Nov 2005 (GMT)
Everything that's official about wiki style/linking can be found here. However, I generally try to observe a few things that aren't listed on there, such as:
- proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- link anything that has a wiki page the first time that it appears only.
- be sure that the first time the page title is mentioned in the text itself (i.e. DARIS on the DARIS page) it is bolded.
- try to get the POV/NPOV sections on a group page distinctly seperated. The first part (the article itself) should be NPOV, with a later section for group statements.
Hope this helps... --LibrarianBrent 04:44, 23 Nov 2005 (GMT)
- Thanks Brent. That's what I was looking for. --Nov 10:16, 23 Nov 2005 (GMT)
Extra HP for extra healing
Nice catch. 15 keep to 8 kill.--Milo 00:43, 28 Nov 2005 (GMT)
- NVM, I thought you moved that one...--Milo 00:44, 28 Nov 2005 (GMT)
- I got it. Good job getting the Headshot should drain AP... I think the problem is that people were using the +- 3 rule instead of 2/3 majority...--Milo 00:52, 28 Nov 2005 (GMT)
- Do the division. It's 15 Keeps out of 22.5 votes. Spam counts as 1/2 Kill. 15/22.5 is exactly 2/3. Note that I voted Kill on it, too. --Squashua 14:21, 28 Nov 2005 (GMT)
- That's why I didn't move it. You should put that message on Milo's page. --Nov 14:39, 28 Nov 2005 (GMT)
To answer your questions, anybody may delete a spammed suggestion currently. I usually just move it to peer rejected and put up a link to my spaminated page as well as an explanation as to why its gone.
We never added this, I think its meant because who suggested it isn't supposed to be important. Its easy enough to figure out at any rate. - Zaruthustra
Reply to Deletion Request
- It is perhaps best to make a statement on the Deletion page that you wish for that page to be kept. They cannot be removed until the end of the voting period. -- Odd Starter 00:59, 2 Dec 2005 (GMT)
- It has been more than 2 weeks after the voting period though. --Nov 01:13, 2 Dec 2005 (GMT)
^Don't use any.--Milo 01:25, 2 Dec 2005 (GMT)
Is it essential to put in each building in Yagoton? Most of these aren't particularly exceptional, all things considered. The fact they're in Yagoton isn't itself enough to make them exceptional. -- Odd Starter 14:08, 4 Dec 2005 (GMT)
It's more the issue that most buildings aren't particularly interesting, and if they aren't particularly interesting, why put them in the wiki? We should attempt to try and make wiki stuff at least relevant to most people - most blocks simply don't need a page unto themselves, they're not nearly interesting enough to warrant an entire page about them. -- Odd Starter 14:21, 4 Dec 2005 (GMT)
Nov, again, Do we really need a page for every single block in Malton? Unless something interesting happens there, I'm not sure we need an entire page for, say, streets or wastelands, or factories... -- Odd Starter 00:06, 5 Dec 2005 (GMT)
The question then becomes, why not put up the page when something interesting happens? -- Odd Starter 01:12, 5 Dec 2005 (GMT)
Meh. I think the easiest way to settle this is to see how the wiki community acts. I'm personally of the note that it's not worth sucking hard drive space for pages that basically say "A building is here", or "This building is here", until you can say something about that building/block that makes it exceptional compared to other buildings of similar context. -- Odd Starter 01:35, 5 Dec 2005 (GMT)
Oh, and further, Most of these pages can probably have their current data on some other page. For example, we don't actually need the various Categories for suburbs, seeing as we have actual pages for every suburb, which are much easier to link to. If a block is in a suburb, why not simply place it on that suburb page? If something exceptional occurs there, and you can describe it in more than a paragraph or two, then maybe spin it off into it's own page. -- Odd Starter 01:41, 5 Dec 2005 (GMT)
- You do IRC? get on #UDWiki on the Freenode server - I'll be waiting for you. -- Odd Starter 01:50, 5 Dec 2005 (GMT)
Nov, I've had a thought regarding the Suburb categories. It occurs to me that articles and categories should have different goals anyway. Put simply, let's not replace the Suburb pages with Category:Suburb pages, and leave the Category pages as simple lists, like they're generally intended to be (instead of one-stop informative pages). Just put each Suburb page in it's respective Category page, and this should work out reasonaby well - easy access to those who want to find every page associated with the suburb, and the regular Suburb pages as easy-to-link front pages.
It occurs to me that Category:Suburbs should be like this, with the big map stuff on Suburbs and the list on Category:Suburbs, but I'm not going to wander into that just yet. -- Odd Starter talk | Mod 01:03, 20 Dec 2005 (GMT)
Re: Search Odds
So far as we know, generators do nothing in regards to search probabilities, thought that may have changed since I did the tests last time. Also, we're fairly certain that the Necrotech building's main search rate hasn't changed at all - it should still be at around 80%. But there's a new item in NT building, the book, and it looks like the odds of finding one of the four items in NT buildings have equalised (ie 1/4 chance of any item given that you find something). -- Odd Starter talk | Mod 08:36, 15 Dec 2005 (GMT)
- Just to confirm, current NT data suggests that there's a 88.99% chance of the Generators on and Generators off data being from the same group, which indicates that if there's any effect, it's quite miniscule. -- Odd Starter talk | Mod 09:03, 15 Dec 2005 (GMT)
Re. Monuments - Cheers for the feedback - I'll take a look at the code and see what I can do - the latest Tapton monument wasn't one of mine so maybe a message on the category page is in order re. submission guidelines? Not 100% clear on what you suggest... rather than a "Famous Monuments" category, would you like to see a "Monuments in..." style thing? Doctorwhen 17:36, 16 Dec 2005 (GMT)
Bounty hunting can be very useful (and satisfying) when one's target is a known PKer or zombie spy that has caused a certain level of grief. There is, however, the problem of how does one determine who really is a PKer, for example. There are various lists maintained, but can they all be trusted and do they differentiate between different activities.
Take the Official CoL PKer list, for example, it makes no differentiation between a PKer who actively hunts anyone (as members of IZONE do) and other bounty hunters. This is why I only really use my own list and occasionally the information from people I know personally and trust.
So why am I mentioning this to you? Well, your "bounty hunter" character became a PKer (proof on my list above) when he assassinated Alfred Bester. Bester only ended up on the CoL list after taking out the IZONE character that murdered Hoburn Wash. Presumably the IZONE player thought she was being funny, or maybe she just wanted revenge - which she gets in double; by getting my character killed (probably repetitively) and turns yours into a PKer.
With that in mind, I'm willing to remove my listing of your character if you can convince Katthew to remove Bester from the CoL list. I won't be nominating your character to the CoL list because I think it's open to abuse (by not differentiating between murderers and actual bounty hunters), but they might decide to use my list at some point, it's not like it's hidden. --BenM 15:08, 21 Dec 2005 (GMT)
- I can't convince Katthew of anything since I didn't put you on the list. The easiest way to get off the list is to get someone to kill you again and to claim that bounty. Also, you can't use my bounty hunting on the CoL list since I've already posted it as a bounty hunting kill, so it doesn't (and can't) count as a PK. If I'm on your list as a PKer because I bounty hunted, well, that can't be prevented, but since most people use the CoL list, I am going to guess that I'm safe anyways. Also, I seriously doubt Katthew will use your list unless you post the proof on the CoL thread like everyone else (and as I said, the proof that I killed "Alfred Bester" won't count as PK because I've already posted it as a bounty). --Nov 01:59, 23 Dec 2005 (GMT)
- It doesn't detract from the fact that the CoL list is seriously flawed and open to abuse (as described above). Tell me, would you consider not using the CoL list now that you know that some of the nominated "PKers" are just people who have killed other PKers and been nominated for revenge?
Anstruther bldg edits
Hey Novelty. First off, let me state that I am aware of and appreciate all your work on the wiki. I'm writing because I disagree with your last edit on the page I built for the Anstruther bldg.
1.) The actual work of maintaining the bldg is done by RCDC, not MalTel--we'll put our image in whenever we get around to making one. I think the building picture should go first anyway.
2.) I feel that the additional info you want posted in the location stub is largely superfluous. Anyone who's actually using the wiki, and has found themselves on the Anstruther bldg page, should know XP for tagging/items findable/etc., and if not they are able to look those things up themselves. Ditto for detail maps, which I feel would be a waste of time. In short, I feel that all that extra info would unnecessarily clutter up that page. The one exception to this is the default barricade level, which I have added in my most recent edit.
...So look it over when you have a moment. If you have problems with the changes I've made to the changes you made to the changes I made to the changes you made to what I felt was a pretty good little page to begin with, please state why on the discussion tab on that page.
cheers, --Bulgakov 17:55, 30 Dec 2005 (GMT)
1. The MalTel image are for all pages with a Telephone Mast.
2. Why should they look things up for themselves when the page can easily be edited to contain such infomation? Even if you think it is superfluous, link to those pages instead of placing the actual text within the page. However, the page would be more informative if the actual infomation was there on it.
This is a wiki after all, people can easily add or remove things as they see fit. Since all the location pages are getting the same sort of infomation for completeness sake (otherwise the page is redundant and as per instruction from the one of the wiki admins here, to be deleted), the onus is on you to tell me why the Anstruther Building should be an exception to the norm. --Nov 07:34, 3 Jan 2006 (GMT)
I see. I'm fine with the edits you've made this time. (Except for the Yagoton location you provided--I fixed that). When RCDC comes up with a logo, it will also be on that page. To respond to your second point:
2.) because lazy people should be punished. Do we really need links to the "searching" and XP pages? I don't have the time to go through and put in all the surrounding locations. If you want to do so, fine. I don't know whose decision it was to add the location stubs. I choose not to. Lastly, I was not arguing for any sort of exception for the bldg--I had provided most of the location stub information already.
Indeed, this is a wiki; as such, when in doubt about an edit--especially a largely-cosmetic one, such as your first--the "onus," as you put it, ought to be on the one changing someone else's original work. Anyway thanks for your answer. --Bulgakov
I am editing over 200 Locations. If something gets missed out when pages are merged, well, that's where other people can catch the mistakes, just like what you did which I appreciate. If you dno't want to put in the surrounding locations, that's fine - that's what the stub notice is there for, leave them there and some kind soul (probably me) will get to it once I get the time (but I'll probably make some mistakes here and there since there's over 200 pages and it's growing by the day). --Nov 19:15, 3 Jan 2006 (GMT)
9 & 16 block templates
Ah, I see. St Mark's is actually a modified 16 block map, with the bottom row cut off because it's the bottom of the map, so what I did was the best solution I could think of. For both, all I did was click edit on the template, copy and paste the whole thing, then copy and paste the names, which seems easier than typing all the coding for it to work with the template. Is there a blank template of that I could cut and paste? Does it make a difference?
Also, since you seem to be working on the locations, are there standard colors for the buildings? I got the color for the NecroTech building as close as I could to that gray-blue color from the suburb map, then made buildings silver and empty lots and streets gray, but I'll change them if there's a standardized pallette.
Thanks. --Dickie Fux 00:35, 4 Jan 2006 (GMT)
- I put up a list based on the suburbs map on my talk page. I figure it's easiest to use the same color for all the general buildings, and only have special colors for important buildings -- PDs, hospitals, NecroTech Buildings, all the obvious stuff. I also thought it would be useful to use yellow for the font color of buildings with phone masts, similar to the way red is used for NecroTech buildings.
- I'm probably only going to do pages for the cathedrals, since I play with the Church of the Resurrection, and we're planning on visiting all of them at some point; if any other locations take on significance to the Church, I'll have a look at those too, but in general I won't be doing too many of these pages, so if you come up with a better color scheme, run with it.
- --Dickie Fux 16:50, 4 Jan 2006 (GMT)
- Do you think it's necessary to differentiate between essentially identical building types? For example, I can't imagine a scenario where I would ever need to quickly tell the difference between a museum and a warehouse, or a school and a library. That just seems like a lot of work for no significant benefit. I realize there are some minor differences between the items that someone can find in each, but I would say only hospitals, PDs, malls and other large buildings, NecroTech buildings, and one or two other types need their own colors. If everything has a different color, then nothing stands out, whereas a few building types that stand out from a uniform silver and gray seems more useful. Also, it would be lot easier for someone like you, trying to do a lot of the map sections.
- I will make the names of buildings in the maps links to their own pages. Is there an intention to come up with a wiki page for every location on the map? I guess if everyone adds a building or two as they live in it, they could all get done eventually.
- --Dickie Fux 17:23, 4 Jan 2006 (GMT)
- For the time being, no there is no need to differentiate between different building types. Somewhere down the line though, when the game gets more and more new features, this distinction might be required, so since we are setting up the colours now we might as well do it right the first time around. Take a look at the Yagoton Cinemas page, it doesn't look too bad IMO.
- I think ultimately, as the game gets more played, each location will end up having its own page. However at this point in time, I'm not creating all of them, I'm just going to create and maintain the pages for Yagoton. Aidan H (see below) is doing the same for Huntley Heights and we are trying to keep the format similar. There have been a few other copycats here and there who have tried to create pages for locations and the wiki is littered with many of these stubs. It would be good to have a generic format for location, but that doesn't seem likely without any guidelines from the admins (or someone else).
- --Nov 18:13, 4 Jan 2006 (GMT)
- That's a good point about the coloring being necessary in the future. And you're right, the cinemas page isn't really any harder to read than if all the buildings were gray.
- Is there a way to change the template so that a)all location names in the map automatically become links, instead of having to put them in for each map, and b)the linked names stay black, as the red links are hard to read on some of the darker building colors? I tried adding the brackets to the 16 block template, but it didn't work.
- --Dickie Fux 19:27, 4 Jan 2006 (GMT)
Huntley Heights Locations
Thank you. I've mostly been playing off of the Yagoton format, as it inspired me to elaborate on Huntley Heights and it's locations, but it's nice to know that the work's not going unnoticed. :D --Aiden H. 00:40, 4 Jan 2006 (GMT)
- Great idea. I'll make use of this on my future pages, and apply it to any of the pages I've made that you haven't already applied it to. --Aiden H. 07:42, 6 Jan 2006 (GMT)
Re: specific generic building pages.
After briefly parsing Recent Changes, I've been noting that Roftwood factory at 63, 55 doesn't seem to be a particularly... clean name. May I suggest a convention that we instead have such generic building articles be titled [Building Type] (Coordinates), and then make sure that they have the specific Suburb category tag? (So Roftwood factory at 63, 55 becomes Factory (63,55), and we throw a suburb category tag on the page so it's cross referenced). It's a little less informative, but it does look a lot cleaner (and looks more like a disambiguation system, which is really what this is).
We can make sure there's also a Category for each generic building as well if people feel a need to search by that as well (though, admittedly, it'd be a rather disorganised category list...) -- Odd Starter talk | Mod 12:31, 19 Jan 2006 (GMT)
Noticed you added me to the list; Just curious to find out where the Yagoton Category list is referenced on the rest of the wiki. --MorthBabid 20:25, 24 February 2006 (GMT)
Sons of Korhal
I just wanted to check with you, since I spotted your name on their group list, are the SoK still around and are they still operating in Pescodside? I haven't heard any word back from them yet after I posted this question on the group Talk page. Well that and I was curious to see if the SoK had a "group image" like the other groups in the area. Let me know. --Mobius187 12:51 PM, Feb 28 2006 (EST)
Novelty, have you considered putting your name down in Moderation/Promotions? We could use the extra people, and I think you're pretty well qualified. -- Odd Starter talk | Mod | W! 11:56, 3 March 2006 (GMT)
- Done. Now we will see if I get the 3 people vouching for me. --Nov 12:06, 5 March 2006 (GMT)
- One down, two to go. =] --Aiden H. 01:59, 6 March 2006 (GMT)
Dunell Hills Zone Map
Hey, it was good to hear your advice. To let you know what I'm doing, by April 1 I hope to have every location (except streets) itemized, mapped and dealt with to single page standards within the DMZ. The storyline significance may not be touched on till later though (I'm not THAT creative). Currently I am serving in a leadership role for the DHPD, its DMZ and the buildings within that area. My working style is to put the basic template I have made for the DHPD buildings and then in one swoop I'll edit the 9squares of each entry as well as in game descriptions. Given time I hope to upload additional pics for the buildings I don’t already have.
Sugestion: Have a Link on the Main page that tells other erstwhile UD map editors about the guidelines you left on my talk page. Also, is there a Master locations list so I know what names are used more than once on the Map (three of the locations I have already done have had "clones" in other suburbs (one in Yagoton and two in New Arkham) this created some confusion for a bit between me and another gentleman whom is editing down in New Arkham. Conndraka W!
- There isn't yet a guidelines page setup yet, although I have promised myself I'd do it soon. I was going to do it today, but the glut of pages that you have created have diverted me off that track, since half of the pages that you currently have can be Speedy Deleted because they have no content (Criterion 1). I would suggest adding infomation as soon as the page is created to ensure that the page isn't deleted. For now though, I suggest you start adding content to the pages that you have already created and start merging those pages of the same building type in the same suburb. I really don't want to get on the bad side of Oddstarter by spamming the wiki with useless pages, which might lead to all location pages (except important buildings) getting deleted. There are those of us who have fought for location pages on this wiki. Please try not to get them deleted. Thanks. --Nov W!, Talk 08:13, 8 March 2006 (GMT)
- Then which would you have me do, write a redirect page for each building that I consolidated into one page or leave the pages as individual pages? Because only one or the other will allow the proper categorization/listing on "Category: Dunell_Hills_Military_Zone" where every location is listed separately for eventual tactical and strategic reference. Conndraka W!
Re: Location Style Guides
I think at this point it's really necessary to get something out there. I'd say be bold and post up guidelines, and then see how people react to the guidelines, and adjust as necessary. -- Odd Starter talk | Mod | W! 14:08, 10 March 2006 (GMT)
Re: You as mod?
Thank you for the show of confidence. Yes, I have considered applying for modship, I've just been quite busy out in the real world for couple of weeks. Maybe I'll get to it now.
- I sometimes get confused and think he is. :P --Mobius187 8:42, 16 March 2006 (EST)
Why did you redirect Northcote Avenue Fire Station?
I put alot of work into it and you just come along and redirect it without even saying anything. You misspelled gulsonside in the redirect now everyone goes to Gulconside Fire Department--Kristi of the Dead 02:12, 12 March 2006 (GMT)
- Thanks for the quick reply...and the link to the location style guide, I'll follow it from now on.
Dunell Hills Police Department Page
Hey this is Willr3 from the DHPD and I was wondering why you keep changing our group page to an article about the police departments in dunell hills. I understand that you are trying to get all location based pages made into a certain format but it seems like it would be more appropriate to make a new page for Dunell Hills Police Departments. Note the S. Or if that is too similar then you could use Police Departments in Dunell Hills. Either one would work just as well and would stop any confusion as well as vandaization of our wiki page. The current page is our Group page not information about the locations. There is a small but important difference in the names. If that's not doable then please at least make your changes to the Dunell Hills page and Not our group page.
Millen Hills Location pages
Thanks for the compliment. Most of my work on these pages, to be totally honest, has been influenced from all of the Yagoton pages and I searched around for the correct images to place on them. Heck, I didn't even know there WAS a Location Syle Guide until you brought it to my attention. I think I'm following it pretty well, purely by accident of course. :)
--Phubar 01:58, 15 March 2006 (GMT)