St. Celestine's Church (Wyke Hills)
|St. Celestine's Church|
|St Celestine's Church
Wyke Hills [53,96]
A small gray-stone building with stern gargoyles along its guttering.
It was at the turn of the last century that Malton's businesses boomed and many people came in to see to the "gold rush" that was beginning to occur. Two Presbyterian preachers, Rev. Dr. William Paisley and Rev. Andrew Harewood, came into this town to establish a church. They eventually managed to buy a property and build a church, which came to be known as Harewood - St Celestine's Maltonite Church, named after Pope Celestine V.
The next decades saw a period of growth, most notably during the 1920's with Pastor Daniel Orendain's leadership. Then World War II came. With the war, the church was obliterated by a German bomb that took out most of the town. After all that, a pastor came along, who singlehandedly rebuilt the church and made it into what it is today.
Recently, St. Celestine's celebrated its 100th Anniversary last 21 October 2007.