This page is for system operators to request a demotion of status, or for enaction of demotion due to long-term inactivity. The act of demotion is restricted to those with bureaucrat status, and as such system operators will need to request their demotion here.
Guidelines for Demotion Requests
System operators who wish to request demotion must consider these things before applying.
- Reason for demotion - As demotions cannot be reversed unless the user goes through the promotion process again, the user is asked to make sure that they are making the correct decision when applying for demotion.
- Effects of demotion - Demotions may necessitate additional action, such as in the case of a Bureaucrat being demoted, which triggers an immediate by-election to fill their seat for the remainder of their term.
After a system operator has submitted his or her demotion request, the active Bureaucrats will review it, and after reaching a unanimous decision, choose to either demote the system operator or deny his or her request. After action has been taken, the request will be moved to the archive.
main article: Policy Text
- A sysop that hasn't made any edit in four months will be warned, on their talk page, by a Bureaucrat, that they face demotion of their sysop powers in one week, if they remain inactive.
- One week after the warning has been placed, dependant on the actions of the sysop, the Bureaucrat will decide whether or not to carry out the demotion.
- This is to avoid, for example, the unlikely case of a sysop simply making a single edit with the aim of avoiding the demotion.
- The Bureaucrat is trusted and bound to make a fair decision, and not to demote a sysop who clearly demonstrates a return to activity on the wiki.
- Any demonstrable abuse of this power by a Bureaucrat, however unlikely, could (as with any other abuse of specific powers) be grounds for a Misconduct case.
- If the sysop makes no response at all to the warnings, they must be demoted.
Demotions in process
Hi! Sorry, I should have hopped on and requested this back in July, but I have been crazy busy. I'd be hitting the 4-month inactivity demotion in a week or so, but I'd rather do it the formal way and request demotion. Given some changes in my life circumstances it seems very unlikely that I'll be able to do any sysop- or wiki-related tasks, or even play the game with any regularity, probably for at least a year. I've truly loved my time as part of this community, and who knows if I'll reappear at some point down the line! Love you all, Bob Moncrief EBD•W! 03:14, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- The wiki won't be the same without you, Bob! However, before I process your demotion I will need your eleven digit Sysop PIN. You remember your PIN, right? -- AHLGTG THE END IS NIGH! 13:50, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- I'm fairly sure requesting demotion is misconduct. Sentence him to another year of sysop as punishment. --K 15:01, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- I'm sure I have it here somewhere... I'll rummage through my knapsack and let you know when I find it. Bob Moncrief EBD•W! 22:55, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- Okay, and you remember the wiki's early cancellation policy, right? It's $1 per day left in the contract, and the apocalypse lasts forever so... it's infinity dollars that you owe. Currency doesn't matter, technically. -- AHLGTG THE END IS NIGH! 01:58, 14 October 2021 (UTC)
- Also you must cancel in person, with a signed letter, at Kevan's place of residence. -- AHLGTG THE END IS NIGH! 01:58, 14 October 2021 (UTC)
I've been hoping this day wouldn't come. You really have been the lifeblood of this wiki for many tireless years. I was hoping you'd go forever but I'm also pleased you've found things to do that are probably more fulfilling. Thank you for the time and love you put into this game and Wiki, Bob.
Are you absolutely sure? If so, please give me your calendar alerts that reminded you to archive stuff and keep this place running. And still come on and say hi from time to time. And for the love of god, please, PLEASE keep maintaining the Discord so we don't have to.06:31, 14 October 2021 (UTC)
There are no recent actions
|User||Position||Last Contribution||Seat Available|
|A Helpful Little Gnome (Contribs)||Bureaucrat||2021-10-29||2021-12-01|
Last updated at: 03:58, 28 October 2021 (UTC)