The Lazarus Complex

From The Urban Dead Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Paynterton [93,39]

the Packe Building St Lazarus's Church the Heginbothom Arms
the Gracewood Building Cemetery a junkyard
Partridge Row the Casely Building Watkins Square

Basic Info:

Rumours of people rising from the dead in St Lazarus's Church resulted in Necrotech building a research facility called The Lazarus Complex around the church and it's cemetery. The Packe Building, the Gracewood Building and the Casely Building. An additional long-arm Necrotech facility was built nearby, the Pender Building.


St Lazarus's Chapel, a Greek Orthodox chapel, was first built in 1573 by Greek Cypriots who had fled Cyprus following the Ottoman invasion in 1570. When the Chapel fell into disrepair during the Great Depression it was demolished, and replaced by the current church in 1934.

According to the bible, (John 11) St Lazarus died and was raised from the dead by Jesus. St Lazarus went on to become a bishop in Cyprus. Lazarus's second tomb is on Cyprus at the Greek Orthodox church of Agios Lazaros in Larnaka. In 890 A.D. his tomb was discovered bearing the inscription "Lazarus the friend of Christ". The marble sarcophagus can be seen inside the church under the Holy of Holies. His relics were taken from Cyprus to Constantinople in 898. The relics were stolen from Constantinople by the Crusaders and transferred to Marseilles, France in 1204 as part of the booty of war from the Fourth Crusade, at which point they disappeared. In 1972 human remains were discovered under the altar during renovation works in the church at Larnaka, and were identified with part of the saint's relics, the remaining relics locations are not known.

Legend has it that some of the relics were transferred from France to the Church dedicated to the saint, and that they had the power to bring people back from the dead. Every year on the day before Palm Sunday, St Lazarus Saturday, was celebrated here. Rumours abounded that newly dead people placed in the Church on the Saturday would be resurrected.

When Necromancy Technologies (the full name of Necro-Tech) started researching their cure for death, they became aware of these rumours, and built the Lazarus Complex around the church. The Packe Building, the Gracewood Building and the Casely Building carried out secret research, and the results were studied at the long-arm Necrotech facility, the Pender Building. Whether it was the Lazarus Project which resulted in zombies, or one of Necrotech's many other Malton-based research projects is unclear, but the remnants of the organisation's scientists are focused on finding a cure to their failed cure.